Identification<<Return to Laboratory
*Accredited by the Standards Council of Canada to Laboratory no. 594 (ISO/IEC 17025)
Identification of various, unidentified Enterobacteriaceae
Isolate from urine, stool, blood, environmental, food, other.
Isolate provided on appropriate culture medium with visible growth.
Send as growth on appropriate culture medium or in appropriate transport medium.
Shipping of specimens shall be done by a TDG certified individual in accordance with TDG regulations. For additional information regarding classification of specimens for the purposes of shipping, consult either Part 2 Appendix 3 of the TDG Regulations or section 3.6.2 of the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations as applicable.
Gastroenteritis, septicemia, infection, other.
Completed Enteric Diseases Program requisition form.
Phenotypic Identification (biotyping)*(1)
16S rRNA gene sequencing(2)
Whole genome sequencing based methodologies may be applied
- Biotyping: as per Murray, P.R., Baron, E.J., Jorgensen, J.H., Pfaller, M.A., Yolken, R.H., Manual of Clinical Microbiology. 2003. ASM Press. Washington, DC. USA
- Sequences compared to the 16s rDNA database in NCBI and clustered using BioNumerics
- MALDI-TOF results analysed using the most current Bruker Biotyper database.
21 calendar days.
- Ewing, W.H. 1986. Edwards and Ewing's Identification of Enterobacteriaceae. 4th edition Elsevier Science Publishing Co., Inc., New York.
- Murray, P.R., Baron, E.J., Jorgensen, J.H., Pfaller, M.A., Yolken, R.H., Manual of Clinical Microbiology. 2003. ASM Press. Washington, DC. USA.
- Laboratory Methods For The Diagnosis Of Cholera Vibrio and Other Vibrios. 1991. Institut Pasteur 28, rue du Docteur-Roux 75724 PARIS CEDEX 15 - FRANCE.